Europe tour 2010

Europe tour 2010

Monday, August 30, 2010

London - Do the Markets

Scooter seats at Camden Markets
To me, one of the best ways to get to know a city and its people is visiting the local markets. Think about it, most vendors selling at a local markets probably don't have a whole lot of capital, so the products they sell are likely to be home-made, locally produced or small quality purchase from wholesalers. So you can see food and products that are in season and typical to the area. The customers are likely to be local as well, especially customer for produce. Very few tourist would got to local markets to buy some fresh pork ribs. I think you get the idea, markets give a great taste to local flavor.

 This may not be true any more in a lot of cities, especially in the US, as supermarkets and shopping malls have replaced local markets. However, luckily, in Europe, you can still find vibrant markets. Some of them are still the main shopping destinations for locals and some of them have become tourist traps. Either case, it is a fun way to spend time, and the best part is that you never leave a market hungry, because there are usually so many different kinds of local foods for you to sample. As a bargain hunter and deal marker, I sniffed my way around town for markets.

Handcrafts at Camden Markets
London is a big city and there are so many markets in different areas. They all have their distinct flavors. Camden Town Market is more alternative and edgy; Borough Market is an international feast; Covent Garden Market is quite mainstream and touristy; Portobello Market in Notting Hill area is more posh (I didn't see the market in action, because the time when I was there, the street market was not open. However, I walked around those permanent shops and that was the impression I got). One travel tip, before you head over to the markets, make sure you check their websites to see if they are open, because not all of them are open all week long.

Camden Town Markets

The edgy side of Camden Town
If there is one word for Camden Town Markets, that word is "Overwhelming". As soon as I got off the Tube, I was surrounded by so many people and so much activity that I felt dizzy. Mind you, I grew up in China and it takes some serious number of people to overwhelm me! There are shops along the streets, endless shops of all kinds, clothing, souvenirs, accessories, body piercing, etc. I did a quick walk pass and reorient myself to start browsing from the Stables Market.

Remember the heritage
The Stables Market is on the site of a former railroad stables and horse hospital. Many of the stalls and shops are set into huge arches in railway viaducts. There is an antique market inside and each stand is a stable space with the original fences and stable number. The environment definitely adds a lot to the products they are selling, making them seem so much more authentic. Antique is just a very small section, what this market is famous for is Goth and cybergoth stuff. (No need to feel bad about not understanding the term of cybergoth. I had no idea either and had to look it up.) There are a few stores that will surely satisfy your dark or neon desire.
The mural at the market and two different looks at the market area
What used to be the stable, now an antique stall

Coming out of the Stables Market, you enter Camden Lock Market. It is a continuation of shops and stalls. No chain stores are allowed in the market, and you can tell that some of the vendors actually made the products they are selling, because they take such meticulous care of their stands. What I like most about this area is food. Of course, what else? London is a very international city and offers cuisines from around the world, Indian, Turkish, Thai, Chinese, Italian, Peruvian.... you name it. I think it also has something to do with the lack of delicious so called English food. I think the people that would get excited about kidney pies are far and few between. I stuffed my face with a long stick of churro filled with chocolate! I usually dip churro in chocolate sauce, but here they poke a hole in churro and put chocolate inside! Perfect for eating while wandering around.

Yum....

And the winners are chocolate filled churros!

Borough Market

Watermelon by the slice
I know about this market because Naked Chef Jamie Oliver shops here often. I heard that it is a big fresh market for meats, cheeses and produces. However, according to Wikipedia, it is way more than that. It is one of the biggest food markets in the world. Besides retail, which is the side I often hear about, it is also a wholesale market, operating daily from 2am to 8am! It is said to have existed since Roman time! Wow, and all I can think about is Jamie Oliver?! I was instantly put to shame.

The retail market only opens Thursday through Saturday. So it was not until I stopped by London again on my way home that I got a chance to visited this market. By that time, I had already seen many markets all over Europe, Budapest, Vienna, Munich, Florence, Lisbon, etc. and I was a little marketed out at that point, because all markets started to look the same and I wasn't as excited. However, I was still impressed by Borough Market.

While the other markets gave a closer look to local gems, there is a definite international flair to Borough Market. Thai spicy sauce, Sorrento ham, Turkish delight... you can taste the goodies from around the world! I loved walking amongst foods, smelling the freshness, feasting on the bright colors, and savoring every bit of sample I could put into my mouth. I almost grabbed a piece of ham that was being weighed on the scale for a customer. I thought the vendor was shaving pieces off for sampling! I was mortified, but I recovered, politely asked for a sample and walked away.
Beautiful English Roses at Borough Market
The market was marvelous! A perfect Saturday activity! If I lived in London, I am sure I would be there every Saturday and known by all the vendors as the free sample lady. Ah... all good things in life are free!
Sea of tomatoes

We mostly certainly can!


Covent Garden Market 

Covent Garden Market
Covent Garden market is very centrally located in London, next to Soho and near all the theaters. It all started with a fruit and vegetable market in the 17th Century. Humble market no more, it is now a nice building with shops, restaurants and cafes. It is also known for the performers on the square in front of the market. It is often quite lively with music or people cheering for the street performers. Like I mentioned, I found it to be a little bit too touristy for my taste, so I just made a very brief stop there.

No comments:

Post a Comment